CCU48: Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman
Mark and Aaron are joined by Dave Eves to evaluate the massive Zatoichi serial starring Shintaro Katsu. We explore the character of Zatoichi, and how he’s an unusual type of superhero. We also share tips on the best way to watch the series, whether a little bit at a time or to go on a binge-watch. We evaluate the series as both a piece of art and as pop culture, observing the high and low points.
Or listen here to it here:
For other apps or mobile devices, try this link.
Or direct download/listen to the MP3.
Episode Links & Notes
Special Guest: Dave Eves from Cinema Versus. You can follow him on Twitter.
0:00 – Intro and Welcome Dave!
2:10 – Dave’s Criterion Connection Redux
5:00 – Short Takes (Love on the Run, The Cook the Thief his Wife and Her Lover, Cléo From 5 to 7)
17:35 – Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman
- Short Cut 3: Night and the City with Dave Eves
- InSession Film Podcast 183: Settling the Score
- Aaron’s Zatoichi Letterboxd list
- Dave’s Zatoichi Letterboxd list
- Criterion Blues – Zatoichi discs 1-3
- Criterion Blues – Zatoichi disc 4
- Criterion Blues – Zatoichi disc 5
- Criterion Blues – Zatoichi disc 6
- Mark Hurne: Twitter | Letterboxd
- Aaron West: Twitter | Blog | Letterboxd
- Criterion Close-Up: Facebook | Twitter | Email
- Music from Ben Model: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Next time on the podcast: Appreciation of a Boutique Label
Posted on August 31, 2016, in Criterions, Podcast. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
Reblogged this on .