CCU42 – Silent Film Music with Ben Model
Mark and Aaron welcome Ben Model, silent film historian, accompanist, distributor, and enthusiast. He gave a presentation about “undercranking” on Criterion’s release of Chaplin’s The Kid. We discuss the idea of undercranking, scoring silent music, and the state of silent media today theatrically and in the home video market.
Or listen here to it here:
For other apps or mobile devices, try this link.
Or direct download/listen to the MP3.
Episode Links & Notes
Special Guest: Ben Model from Silent Film Music and Undercrank Productions. You can find him on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
0:00 – Intro and Welcome Ben
1:15 – Ben’s Criterion Connection
4:00 – Discussion and explanation of undercranking
18:20 – Ben’s background
24:00 –Silent films on Criterion and other labels
27:20 – Silent Film Kickstarters
38:00 – Silent Film discussion
- Silent Film Music – YouTube
- Silent Film Music podcast
- Kickstarter – Accidentally Preserved Rare and Lost Silent Films
- Kickstarter – When Knighthood Was in Flower
- Kickstarter – The Bridge’s Play
- Kickstarter – Pioneers of African-American Cinema
- Movies Silently – Top Five Silent Film Directors
- Seriously Funny – The Films of Leo McCarey
- Mark Hurne: Twitter | Letterboxd
- Aaron West: Twitter | Blog | Letterboxd
- Criterion Close-Up: Facebook | Twitter | Email
Next time on the podcast: The Player
Posted on June 26, 2016, in Criterions, Film, Podcast. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.
Thanks for the podcast! I really enjoyed it especially the shout-out towards the end by Mr. Model. I was definitely not expecting that. I love what you are doing and keep up the great work.
Reblogged this on .
Pingback: CCU45: In a Lonely Place (1951) & Humphrey Bogart Films | Criterion Blues .....